The BA (Hons) Screenwriting course is centred around the art and craft of storytelling.
It has been designed to prepare graduates for employment by providing them with the skills demanded by employers not only in the film and television industries but also, increasingly, in the world of video games.
The course enables students to develop their craft with the assistance of an outstanding roster of industry professionals as tutors, and - with the input of students from our BA Practical Filmmaking course - will develop understanding of the relationship between the page and the screen.
- The BA Screenwriting course is delivered as an intensive fast-track programme over two years.
- The course is delivered in smaller class sizes and specialist seminar groups.
- The course involves a higher than normal proportion of scheduled contact hours to reflect the film school’s ethos of providing new writers with substantial one-to-one development time.
- The course is delivered exclusively by working industry professionals, including script development executives from the British Film Institute, the Script Factory, BBC and a range of production companies. This is integral to the school’s master-apprentice style of teaching.
- Professional actors will stage much of the students’ work.
- Our students are heavily encouraged to collaborate with the BA Practical Filmmaking students to have their screenplays go into production. This is both part of the course and something encouraged outside of the course.
The two-year BA
While most UK BA courses last for three years, Central Film School's BA Screenwriting only takes two. This means that the course is highly intensive, requiring full commitment throughout the whole two-year period.
Dates + Fees
This course costs £10,000 per year. As a two-year BA (Hons) degree the total cost of tuition, including all materials and filming budgets, is £20,000.
Start dates: October 2016
We have now partnered with Future Finance as an alternative source of funding for our students. Click here to learn more
"When I graduate, I will leave knowing that I have gained a solid and long-lasting platform on which to continue building my understanding of screenwriting and filmmaking. The different points of view and personalities of the tutors combines with a rich and varied curriculum that challenges, invigorates and excites. Thank you, Central Film School!" Thomas James Vowles, BA (Hons) Screenwriting, 2015
Find out more
If you'd like us to give you a call to talk about this course in more detail, fill out the form below and we will contact you.
All our BA (Hons) degrees are accredited by the University of Gloucestershire
You can apply for this course through UCAS or directly with us. Details of our entry requirements are on our applications page, but previous training in screenwriting is not required, just dedication and enthusiasm. All candidates are interviewed before being offered a place, and we encourage applicants to send us a sample of work if available.