Six-Month Independent Filmmaking
The Six-Month Independent filmmaking course has been designed to meet the demand for specific training in the major filmmaking disciplines for anyone who has a passionate desire to tell a film story but has had little or no experience in filmmaking.
It would also be of interest to someone who has optioned a written work and wants to write, produce and direct it or a writer who is currently writing or has already written a script and wants to create a professional trailer, or shoot a scene to leverage the best chances of securing funding or a commission from a broadcaster.
Central Film School believes that filmmakers find their voice by having a thorough understanding of the technical processes involved in the telling of the story. Hence, the course familiarises students in the following roles:
- Directing ( Director, 1st Assistant Director, Script Supervisor)
- Cinematography (Director of Photography, Camera Operator)
- Sound (Sound Mixer, Boom Operator)
- Producing (Producer, Production Manager, Location Manager)
- Editing (Editor, Sound Designer)
- Scriptwriting (Screenwriter)
- Excellent practical tuition from working film industry professionals.
- Learn to shoot on Professional High Digital.
- Work on excess of 4 films during the course.
- Smallest class sizes.
- Learn not only to write and direct, but also how to work effectively in key crew roles.
- Meet high-profile working industry professionals who tutor on the course.
- New high-spec facilities including a fully air-conditioned studio.
- Free access to equipment and facilities outside of class time.
By the end of the course students will:
- Have a working understanding of everything from how to assess the dramatic and filmic merits of a script to adjusting the sound design of the final version of their film.
- Have gained practical skills in all major departments of filmmaking.
- Have hands on experience with Adobe products such as Adobe Premiere Pro.
- Developed a detailed understanding of the schedule and workflow required to make a high quality narrative short film.
- Have the opportunity to work alongside a Professional Director and DOP on your first film project.
- Gain invaluable collaborative skills and the professionalism necessary to pursue a career in film.
Students will have gained in excess of 4 film credits through the short films they write, direct, produce and crew on during their time on the course. These films are designed to provide the opportunity for students to apply the training they receive throughout the course. Student films are regularly submitted successfully to film festivals and can sometimes provide strong showreel material.
You can apply for this course directly with us. Previous training in film is not required, just dedication and enthusiasm. To better understand your goals we will arrange a time to speak with you, in order to help you decide if this is the right course for you.
If you are a student outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, you will need a Short-term study visa to study on a course which is of 6 months duration or less. A short-term study visa is different from a student visa and the school will provide the student with necessary documentations once the student is accepted on the course and payment has been made. For more details, please visit the government website or our admission office.
"I wouldn't get the chance of making so many shorts in six months anywhere else." Tahsin Gececi, Six-Month Independent Filmmaking October 2016
Find out more
If you'd like us to get in touch about this course in more detail, just fill in the form below and we will get back to you in the next day or two.
"I liked building relationships and having actual material for a showreel." Jonny Bryan, Six-Month Independent Filmmaking October 2016
Dates + Fees
As a six-month course the total cost of tuition, including all materials and filming budgets, is £7,500. Start dates are 8 October 2018, April 2019, October 2019.